Donate to SOFA
SOFA is now signed up to accepting Gift Aid.
If you sign up to Gift Aid, it means for every £1 raised from the sale of your goods, we can claim a further 25p from HM Revenue and Customs.
Signing up for Gift Aid is a contribution to our community and above all to those that most need.
When complete and signed you may return it to us in person, scan and e-mail, by post, hand it over to our drivers or make us a visit and hand your declaration in person at our reception.
Many thanks for considering,
SOFA is now accepting clothes and shoes
Donations of furniture and appliances
We welcome donations of suitable re-usable furniture, household items and electrical appliances.
If you're not able to bring them to SOFA yourself, we offer a free collection service across Charnwood and some other parts of Leicestershire.
To make a donation please read the Donation Checklist below and call us on 01509 262557 so one of our team can arrange this with you.
Note: SOFA has been experiencing high volumes of donations - Please make arrangements with plenty time. It may not be possible within the same week to collect your items and some areas further afield may take two weeks.
- Foam filled soft furnishings must have the fire safety labels. We are not allowed to resell soft furniture without proper labels saying that it conforms to the 1988 Fire Regulations. When you offer us soft furniture we will check that the labels are in place.
- Glass items e.g. doors/shelves in cupboards must have the British Safety Standard Kitemark. When you offer us glass items we will check that the Kitemark is in place.
- We can accept smoked glass as this is toughened.
Items we can accept
- 3 piece suites, sofas and chairs (with fire safety labels)
- Dining tables and chairs
- Coffee tables
- TV, Hi-fi, DVD and wall units
- Wardrobes and dressing tables
- Electric cookers
- Electric heaters
- Clothes & Shoes
Items we can't accept
We cannot accept any items that are stained, torn, worn out or badly damaged as they are not suitable for re-use.
There are certain items that we cannot accept for Health and Safety reasons and a few items we tend not to take because we have difficulty selling them. These include:
- Glass topped tables which do not have smoked or toughened glass
- Gas appliances
- Soft furnishings without fire safety labels
- Large sideboards
- Large dark wood wardrobes
- TVs without remote control or scart sockets
Please call us on 01509 262557 or contact us via the website if you are unsure.
We also welcome financial donations - you can donate online via PayPal using the 'Donate' button on this website or we'd be happy for you to contact us to discuss a financial donation. SOFA thanks you in advance for your support.
Lifecycle of a sofa
This film clip, showing re-use in action and starring sofa volunteers and staff, was produced by Charnwood Borough Council for use with primary school children.