Office & Customer Service Assistant
About the opportunity
Volunteers are needed to assist in the main office, taking telephone calls, booking in furniture donations for collection, arranging deliveries, serving customers and taking payments. Other duties include data input, filing, photocopying, emailing, preparing and sorting post and word processing.
The project offers a supportive working atmosphere with a strong sense of community. Volunteers receive varied work experience and on the job training with the aim of assisting people back into paid work. The project also helps with this by providing support with job applications and CV writing. There are also potential opportunities to complete NVQs and other formal training.
Office & Customer Service Assistants will;
• Take telephone donations in a polite and friendly manner, ensuring information is recorded accurately
• Be responsible for clerical duties in support of collection and delivery of furniture
• Enter and update customer and donor information onto SOFA databases, ensuring confidentiality
• Greet customers in a friendly and non-judgmental way and assist them in choosing furniture and other items
• Inform customers about how to get a referral from the various agencies who assist SOFA
• Receive cash and debit/credit card payments for furniture and complete associated paperwork
• Book donations and deliveries in accordance with SOFA's systems and procedures
• Price bric-a-brac
• Record post
• Answer telephone inquiries and deal with these according to SOFA procedures
• Word process letters, posters, leaflets etc
• Undertake routine filing, photocopying and other clerical tasks as required
• Maintain a clean and safe working environment, with special attention to general housekeeping
• Participate in any training required by the project, especially Health and Safety
• Assist new volunteers as required
Sofa is a Registered Charity originally set up to provide low cost furniture to those in need with additional benefits of providing work experience and training for individuals seeking employment. Just as important now is our role in recycling and re-use by making effective use of donated furniture and reducing landfill.
What are we looking for?
A positive and friendly attitude, a willingness to learn new skills and to work in a cooperative manner is essential. Previous experience and qualifications are not required but are useful. All volunteers must be able to manage their own responsibilities and work under their own initiative. Volunteers cannot be guaranteed to be supervised at all times. They must also be able to work as part of a team and possess good communication skills to deal with members of the general public. Above all else volunteers must be reliable and committed to the project.
From Loughborough railway station head towards the town centre over the canal bridge along Nottingham Road. SOFA is located on the right, on the corner of Clarence Street.
From Loughborough town centre walk towards Derby Road. Turn right onto Derby Road and then turn left onto Nottingham Road. Follow Nottingham Road down until you reach Sofa on the left, on the corner of Clarence Street.