About the opportunity
Volunteers are needed to drive a Luton van to collect and deliver furniture around Leicestershire. Drivers must be able to work as part of a team and lead a small group of volunteers. A good awareness of road safety and health and safety is desirable, although training will be given. Drivers must be willing and able to assist in the warehouse. A clean license is preferable although on review we will accept those with up to six points already on their license.
The project offers a supportive working atmosphere with a strong sense of community. Volunteers receive varied work experience and on the job training with the aim of assisting people back into paid work. The project also helps with this by providing support with job applications and CV writing. There are also potential opportunities to complete NVQs and other formal training.
Van Drivers will;
- Drive an Iveco Luton van
- Collect and deliver furniture in areas as required
- Supervise the safe loading of the vehicle with furniture ready for delivery
- Route plan the work of the vehicles in an economical and efficient way
- Assist with route planning, loading, unloading, warehouse duties, deliveries and collections when required
- Carry out daily vehicle checks and report any repairs required on vehicle
- Check all furniture at collection point, to ensure suitability for use
- To participate in any training required by the project, especially Health and Safety
- Ensure routine maintenance and cleanliness of vehicles
- Ensure all paperwork is completed correctly
- Maintain vehicle logbook
- Assist warehouse staff in any other duties as required
Sofa is a Registered Charity originally set up to provide low cost furniture to those in need with additional benefits of providing work experience and training for individuals seeking employment. Just as important now is our role in recycling and re-use by making effective use of donated furniture and reducing landfill.
What are we looking for?
A positive and friendly attitude, a willingness to learn new skills and to work in a cooperative manner is essential. Previous experience and qualifications are not required but are useful. All volunteers must be able to manage their own responsibilities and work under their own initiative. Volunteers cannot be guaranteed to be supervised at all times.They must also be able to work as part of a team and possess good communication skills to deal with members of the general public. Above all else volunteers must be reliable and committed to the project.
From Loughborough railway station head towards the town centre over the canal bridge along Nottingham Road. SOFA is located on the right, on the corner of Clarence Street.
From Loughborough town centre walk towards Derby Road. Turn right onto Derby Road and then turn left onto Nottingham Road. Follow Nottingham Road down until you reach Sofa on the left, on the corner of Clarence Street.