Covid-19 - Information for Donors
You may be asked over the phone, email or in person when booking to donate to SOFA if you or anyone living in the same property have any symptoms of Covid-19 or are unwell to safe guard our staff, volunteers and van crew.
To save the environment with unnecessary van trips we have formalise our collection procedure as follows
- We are asking donors to send photos of items (fire labels for soft furnishing)
- Your postcode so we can identify how soon our drivers can make you a visit
- Send the above information through our contact page and we'll reply within 24hrs (working week days)
- If your items meet our requirements we'll offer a day and time for our drivers to visit you
Soft furnishing requirements:
- Fire label
- No tears or cat scratches
- Clean and no stain
- Non faded
- doors, shelves or table tops must be toughen or have a Kite mark.
- Must have CE label
- Clean no rust or mould
- Refrigeration No missing/broken shelves or draws
To secure the agreed day and time for our drivers' visit, you need to reply to the email offer within 24hrs of receiving the email.
Once we agree a day and time for our drivers to make you a visit
- Items need to be outside on the day of visit or as close to your entrance door if raining, carport or garage
- Pick up of items are subject to drivers' ASSESSMENT and DISCRETION for acceptance
Dropping off at our door
Please ensure that your items meet the same conditions as above. When you arrive at SOFA please report to reception. Items are subject to Staffs' ASSESSMENT and DISCRETION for acceptance.
Please note: Staff/van crew may refuse to pickup some or all items during assessment at your property on the day of the booked visit or at our door. Our drivers look out for heath & safety, hygiene and condition of the items, we leave this decision to our staff/van crew discretion.
For any reason you need assistance with our donation procedure, do not hesitate to call our dedicated help line on 07565690667
We will keep this page up-to-date to keep you and our staff safe.
Items we can accept
This is not an exhausted list
If your item is not listed please get in touch
- 3 piece suites, sofas and chairs (with fire safety labels)
- Dining tables and chairs
- Coffee tables, occasional tables
- Small sideboards
- Wardrobes and dressing tables (not very large)
- Electric cookers
- Washing machines
- Electric heaters
- Toasters and kettles
- Clothes & Shoes
- Quality ornaments
Items we're not taking
We cannot accept any items that are stained, torn, worn out or considerably damaged as we are very limited to repair capabilities.
There are certain items that we cannot accept for Health and Safety reasons and a few items we tend not to take because we have difficulty storing and selling them. These include:
- Glass topped tables which do not have smoked or toughened glass
- Gas appliances
- Soft furnishings without fire safety labels
- Large sideboards/wall units
- Large dark wood wardrobes
- Tumble/condenser driers
- TVs without remote control or scart sockets
Please get in touch though our contact page if you are unsure.
SOFA is now signed up to accepting Gift Aid.
If you sign up to Gift Aid, it means for every £1 raised from the sale of your goods, we can claim a further 25p from HM Revenue and Customs.
Signing up for Gift Aid is a contribution to our community and above all to those that most need.
When complete and signed you may return it to us in person, scan and e-mail, by post, hand it over to our drivers or make us a visit and hand your declaration in person at our reception.
Many thanks for considering,
SOFA is now accepting clothes and shoes
We also welcome financial donations - you can donate online via PayPal using the 'Donate' button on this website or we'd be happy for you to contact us to discuss a financial donation. SOFA thanks you in advance for your support.
Lifecycle of a sofa
This film clip, showing re-use in action and starring sofa volunteers and staff, was produced by Charnwood Borough Council for use with primary school children.