Van & Warehousing Assistant
About the opportunity
Volunteers are needed to assist with collections and deliveries of furniture around Leicestershire. Work in our warehouse includes rotating stock, order picking and helping customers and donors with their furniture. Volunteers need to be able to lift and move furniture items. Awareness of road safety and health and safety is desirable, although training will be given.
The project offers a supportive working atmosphere with a strong sense of community. Volunteers receive varied work experience and on the job training with the aim of assisting people back into paid work. The project also helps with this by providing support with job applications and CV writing. There are also potential opportunities to complete NVQs and other formal training.
Van & Warehousing Assistants will;
- Assist with the delivery and collection of furniture
- Load vehicles with furniture ready for delivery
- Unload vehicles and place furniture in warehouse ready for viewing
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment in warehouses
- Carry out minor repairs to furniture and build any flat pack furniture for display
- Assist and direct the driver to addresses listed on the worksheets
- Check furniture at point of collection for suitability
- Assist the driver in ensuring all furniture is secure and evenly distributed on the vehicle
- Assist with the maintenance and cleanliness of vehicles
- Ensure that all paperwork is completed correctly
- Participate in any training required such as Health and Safety
- Assist project with training new warehouse volunteers on warehouse procedures
Sofa is a Registered Charity originally set up to provide low cost furniture to those in need with additional benefits of providing work experience and training for individuals seeking employment. Just as important now is our role in recycling and re-use by making effective use of donated furniture and reducing landfill.
What are we looking for?
A positive and friendly attitude, a willingness to learn new skills and to work in a cooperative manner is essential. Previous experience and qualifications are not required but are useful. All volunteers must be able to manage their own responsibilities and work under their own initiative. Volunteers cannot be guaranteed to be supervised at all times.They must also be able to work as part of a team and possess good communication skills to deal with members of the general public. Above all else volunteers must be reliable and committed to the project.
From Loughborough railway station head towards the town centre over the canal bridge along Nottingham Road. SOFA is located on the right, on the corner of Clarence Street.
From Loughborough town centre walk towards Derby Road. Turn right onto Derby Road and then turn left onto Nottingham Road. Follow Nottingham Road down until you reach Sofa on the left, on the corner of Clarence Street.